The BOM (Bill of Materials) is basically stolen from William Lam. He has done a nice write-up about a NUC vSAN Cluster HERE.
Just like William I decided to go for the i3 rather than i5. I always run out of RAM before I run out of CPU anyway, so fingers crossed.
So the final BOM
- Systems: 3x Intel NUC 6th Gen (NUC6i3SYH)
- Memory: 6x Crucial 16GB Single (CT16G4SFD8213)
- Disks, Caching Tier: 3x Samsung SM951 128GB (MZVPV128HDGM)
- Disks, Capacity Tier: 3x Samsung 850 EVO – 500GB (MZ-75E500BW/EU)
- ESX Boot Flash Drive: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB (SDCZ33-008G-B35)
- Mikrotik RB750Gr2 Routerboard
And 4000+ Lego bricks for the case – obviously 🙂
So what does the loot look like
Did I mention 4k Lego bricks ?
Here just a quick install of the components. The NUCs are opened from the bottom (screws inside the legs)
The SSD slots right in
Ram dimm #1 in
Ram number #2
And the NVMe (secured by a little screw)
Last but not least – the USB flash drive ESXi will be booting from
Next the bios – I want to make sure it can see RAM, SSD and NVMe
32GB RAM – Check
SSD and NVMe – Check
Quick ESXi install to ensure it can recognise the drives too – Check
This concludes Part 2 … Next I will be building the case – that might take a while :
Lego vSAN Cluster Articles: